back to Chapter Seven Contents
Where can I find additional resources on on mental disability and human rights?
To further your understanding on the topic of human rights in patient care, a list of commonly used resources has been compiled and organized into the following categories:
Declarations, resolutions, and conventions: UN
United Nations Principles for the Protection of Persons with Mental Illness and the Improvement of Mental Health Care, 1991.
- United Nations Standard Rules for the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities, 1993.
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 2006.
- ICESCR GC 5 – International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, (1994), General Comment 5, Persons with Disabilities.
- ICESCR GC 14 – International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, (2000) General Comment 14, The Right to the highest attainable standard of health (art.12).
Declarations, resolutions, and conventions: non-UN
- Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Dignity of the Human Being with Regard to the Application of Biology and Medicine: Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine (Council of Europe 1997).
- Recommendation 1592 (2003) Towards full social inclusion of people with disabilities, Parliamentary Assembly, Council of Europe Council of Europe, 2004.
- Recommendation No REC (2004)10 of the Committee of Ministers concerning the protection of the human rights and dignity of persons with and its Explanatory Memorandum.
- CPT Standards – European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT), “Substantive” Sections of the CPT’s General Reports, Council of Europe, Strasbourg, CPT/Inf/E(2002)1 – Rev 2004.
- World Health Organization, (2005) Mental Health Declaration for Europe – Facing Challenges, Building Solutions, January 2005.
- Clements L, Read J. Disabled People and European Human Rights, A review of the implications of the 1998 Human Rights Act for disabled children and adults in the UK, The Policy Press, Bristol, 2003.
- Jenkins R, McCulloch A, Friedli L and Parker C. Developing a National Mental Health Policy, Psychology Press Ltd, Hove, 2002.
- Knapp M, McDaid D, Mossialos E and Thornicroft G (eds). Mental Health Policy and Practice across Europe, Buckingham, Open University Press, 2007.
- Kozma A, Bulic I. Creating Successful Campaigns for Community Living, An advocacy manual for disability organisations and service providers, European Coalition for Community Living, 2008.
- Lasik JL (ed.). Pain and Survival: Human Rights Violations and Mental Health, 1994.
- Sayce L. From Psychiatric Patient to Citizen – Overcoming Discrimination and Social Exclusion, Palgrave, 2000.
Reports, key articles, and other documents
- Amnesty International. Bulgaria, Far from the eyes of society: Systematic discrimination against people with mental disabilities. Amnesty International, 2003.
- Applebaum, Paul S. Present at the Creation: Mental Health Law in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union, Psychiatric Services Vol. 49, No. 10, 1998.
- Davidson G, McCallion M. and Potter M. Connecting Mental Health and Human Rights, Northern Irish Human Rights Commission, Belfast, 2003.
- European Coalition for Community Living. Focus on the rights of Children with Disabilities to Live in the Community, 2006.
- Freyhoff G, Parker C, Coué M and Grieg N. Included in Society – Results and Recommendations of the European Research Initiative on Community-Based Residential Alternatives for Disabled People, (Supported by the European Commission) 2004.
- Gostin, Lawrence O. International Human Rights Law and Mental Disability, Hastings Center Report, March-April 2004: 11-12.
- Human Rights in Action---A Framework for Local Action (designed by Department of Health, British Institute of Human Rights, and 5 NHS Trusts), Equality and Human Rights Group, 2007.
- Latvian Center for Human Rights. Human rights in Mental Health Care in Baltic Countries, Policy Paper, 2006.
- Mansell J, Knapp M, Beadle-Brown J and Beecham J. Deinstitutionalisation and Community Living – outcomes and costs: report of a European Study, Volume 2, Main Report. Canterbury: Tizard Centre, University of Kent, 2007.
- Mencap, Death by Indifference.
- MDAC - Mental Disability Advocacy Center (2003) Cage Beds, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment in Four Accession Countries, MDAC Budapest, 2003.
- Mental Disability Rights International, Hidden Suffering: Romania’s Segregation and Abuse of Infants and Children with Disabilities, 2006.
- Mind, Another Assault, Mind’s campaign for equal access to justice for people with mental health problems, Mind 2007.
- Open Society Mental Health Initiative, Access to Education and Employment for People with Intellectual Disabilities: An Overview of the Situation in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Open Society Mental Health Initiative, Memorandum in ‘Improving the mental health of the population’: can the European Union help? Volume II: Evidence.
- Open Society Mental Health Initiative, A Community for All: The Open Society Mental Health Initiative and its Work to Promote Social Inclusion for People with Mental Disabilities, 2006.
- Parker C, Goedhart F, and Gomez G. Partners for Better Policies: A Manual for Mainstreaming, Inclusion Europe, Open Society Mental Health Initiative and Global Initiative on Psychiatry, 2006.
- Quinn G and Degener T with Bruce A, Burke C, Castellino J, Kenna P, Kilkelly U and Quinlivan S. (2002) Human Rights and Disability: The current use and future potential of United Nations human rights instruments in the context of disability.
- Rosenthal E and Sundram CJ. International Human Rights and Mental Health Legislation, World Health Organization, 2003.
- Salize H, Drefsing H and Peitz M. Compulsory Admission and Involuntary Treatment of Mentally Ill Patients – Legislation and Practice in EU Member States, European Commission, 2002.
- World Health Organization The World Health Report - Mental Health: New Understanding, New Hope, World Health Organisation, Geneva, 2001.
- World Health Organization, Mental Health Policy and Service Guidance Package, Mental Health Legislation and Human Rights, World Health Organisation, Geneva, 2003.
- World Health Organization, Mental Health Action Plan for Europe - Facing Challenges, Building Solutions, January 2005.
- World Health Organization, Resource Book on Mental Health, Human Rights and Legislation stop exclusion, dare to care, 2005.
- Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability.